- Ken Murphy, Paul Travers, Mark Walport
- Publication Date:
- November 27, 2007
- Content Details:
- 928 pages
Also of Interest
Janeway's Immunobiology, Seventh Edition is an introductory text for use in immunology courses for undergraduates, graduate students and medical students. It guides the reader through the immune system in all its aspects - from the first engagement of innate immunity to the generation of the adaptive immune response and its clinical consequences. The Seventh Edition has been comprehensively updated throughout, and includes new information on topics such as NK cells, Toll-like receptors, AID, viral evasins, mucosal immunity, and celiac disease, to name a few. Each copy of the book includes a revised CD-ROM, Immunobiology Interactive, which contains animations and videos with voiceover narration, as well as the figures from the text for presentation purposes. Janeway's Immunobiology continues to set the standard for currency and authority with its clear writing style and organization, full-color art program, scientific accuracy and consistent viewpoint - that of the host's interaction with an environment containing many species of potentially harmful microorganisms.
- New information on NK receptors, Toll-like receptors, activation-induced cytidine deaminase (AID), viral immunoevasins, cross-presentation of antigen to T cells, dendritic cell and T-cell subsets, new innate receptors that recognize pathogens, mucosal immunity, and celiac disease, to name a few.
- New discussion questions at the end of Chapters 2-16.
- Marginal icons link the reader to the relevant case study in Case Studies in Immunology by Geha and Rosen, (ISBN: 978-0-8153-4145-1).
- Accompanying CD-ROM Janeway’s Immunobiology 7 Interactive, has been revised and expanded, and contains original animations and videos with voiceover narration, as well as the figures from the text for presentation purposes.
- Five new animations covering HIV Infection, DTH Response, Viral Evasins, Innate Recognition of Pathogens, and Pathogen Receptors.
"The field of immunology is expanding rapidly and it is a difficult task to include all aspects in a single textbook, but the authors have done a commendable job to incorporate new information on topics varying from the generation of Th17 cells to pathogen recognition receptors. One of the strongest aspects of the volume is the use of visual aides for learning....The lectures are clear, informative, and enjoyable....no matter your method of instruction, this textbook will be an outstanding learning tool." - The Quarterly Review of Biology, Volume 83, No. 4, December 2008
"The highly illustrated text in color has 5 appendices, a glossary, updated references, a detailed index and a CD-ROM. Highly recommended." - Pediatric Endocrinology Reviews, Volume 5, No. 4, June 2008
"...this is an excellent overview of immunology placed in a biological context...I am pleased to have it on my shelf and I recommend it for yours if you are interested in human immunology in the broadest context or are involved in teaching the subject...Such books that make complex content easy to understand are few and far between." - British Society of Immunology Journal, Immunology News, May 2008
Praise for the Sixth Edition:
"Immunobiology is one of the most outstanding introductory texts in immunology that I have come across in recent years....The book is well written and edited with lots of tables and diagrams....Most importantly, the book is easily read and understood with each topic covered in a comprehensive manner. In addition, each chapter has a number of summaries after each key concept to help the readers digest the information. Discussion questions on the topics at the end of each chapter can form the basis of discussion and be used for review and stimulating thoughts....A very attractive feature of the book is the CD-ROM - Immunobiology Interactive. It contains an archive of all the figures in the book loaded into PowerPoint presentations so these can be inserted into presentations with ease...Furthermore, there are videos and animations...In summary, this book is a must..." - World Allergy Organization News and Notes
Praise for Previous Editions:
"This book provides authority, clarity, breadth and inspiration. Its high standards have blazed a trail.Go and get your own copy, and fill up that inviting white margin on every page with your own notations." - TRENDS in Immunology
"One of the best general immunology textbooks available.This book clearly sets a new standard, and should not be missed by anyone interested in the subject." - Immunology Today
"This is one of the best basic immunology textbooks available. Materials are well organized and clearly presented. It is a must-have for clinicians and researchers who strive to have an understanding of basic immunology." - Doody Enterprises
Part I An Introduction to Immunobiology and Innate Immunity
1. Basic Concepts in Immunology
2. Innate Immunity
Part II The Recognition of Antigen
3. Antigen Recognition by B-cell and T-cell Receptors
4. The Generation of Lymphocyte Antigen Receptors
5. Antigen Presentation to T Lymphocytes
Part III The Development of Mature Lymphocyte Receptor Repertoires
6. Signaling Through Immune System Receptors
7. The Development and Survival of Lymphocytes
Part IV The Adaptive Immune Response
8. T Cell-Mediated Immunity
9. The Humoral Immune Response
10. Dynamics of Adaptive Immunity
11. The Mucosal Immune System
Part V The Immune System in Health and Disease
12. Failures of Host Defense Mechanism
13. Allergy and Hypersensitivity
14. Autoimmunity and Transplantation
15. Manipulation of the Immune Response
Part VI The Origins of Immune Responses
16. Evolution of the Immune System
Appendix I Immunologists’ Toolbox
Appendix II CD Antigens
Appendix III Cytokines and their Receptors
Appendix IV Chemokines and their Receptors
Appendix V Immunological Constants
The Art of Janeway's Immunobiology
Artwork available in PowerPoint and JPEG formats along with original immunological animations.
Janeway’s Immunobiology, Seventh edition is now available in the US and Canada as a downloadable e-book from VitalSource.
VitalBook technology enables students to:
• Search the text
• Add highlights and notes, and share them
• Download to multiple devices, including iPads
The various e-book options for Janeway’s Immunobiology enable students to save significantly over the print version.
• eBook purchase: $91.00 (30% off list price)
• 1 year e-rental: $78.00 (40% off list price)
• 180 day e-rental: $65.00 (50% off list price)
To purchase or rent the e-book at the VitalSource store go to: http://store.vitalsource.com/show/9781136977176
Samples & Downloads
Download the Detailed Table of Contents from the book.
Click on any of the links below to download a printable PDF of a sample chapter.