Fields, Forces, and Flows in Biological Systems
- Alan J Grodzinsky
- Publication Date:
- March 08, 2011
- Content Details:
- 308 pages
Also of Interest
Fields, Forces, and Flows in Biological Systems describes the fundamental driving forces for mass transport, electric current, and fluid flow as they apply to the biology and biophysics of molecules, cells, tissues, and organs. Basic mathematical and engineering tools are presented in the context of biology and physiology.
The chapters are structured in a framework that moves across length scales from molecules to membranes to tissues. Examples throughout the text deal with applications involving specific biological tissues, cells, and macromolecules. In addition, a variety of applications focus on sensors, actuators, diagnostics, and microphysical measurement devices (e.g., bioMEMs/NEMs microfluidic devices) in which transport and electrokinetic interactions are critical.
This textbook is written for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in biological and biomedical engineering and will be a valuable resource for interdisciplinary researchers including biophysicists, physical chemists, materials scientists, and chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers seeking a common language on the subject.
- This textbook is written for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in biological and biomedical engineering and will be a valuable resource for interdisciplinary researchers including biophysicists, physical chemists, materials scientists, and chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers seeking a common language on the subject.
1. Chemical Transport in Electrolyte Media
2. Electric Fields and Flows in Electrolyte Media
3. Electrochemical Coupling and Transport
4. Electrical Interaction Forces: From Intramolecular to Macroscopic
5. Newtonian Fluid Mechanics
6. Electrokinetics: MEMs, NEMs, and Nano-porous Biological Tissues
7. Rheology of Hydrated Biological Tissues and Polymeric Biomaterials
For the following resources verified instructors can visit the resource page for Fields, Forces, and Flows in Biological Systems.
The Art of Field, Forces, and Flows in Biological Systems
Artwork available in PowerPoint and JPEG format.
E-book and Custom Publishing
AMAZON KINDLE PRINT REPLICA E-BOOK
The VitalBook e-book is available for purchase in its entirety or by chapter, or to rent for 1 year or 180 days, in the US and Canada from VitalSource.
Purchase or rent in North America
NOOK STUDY E-BOOK – COMING SOON
GARLAND SCIENCE CUSTOM PUBLISHING
Garland Science Custom Publishing gives educators the ability to create their own course materials for use in the classroom-in e-book and/or print format. Faculty have complete control over what is added and may add chapters from Garland Science textbooks, web articles and blog postings, and self-authors content in PDF or Word format. Our site provides real-time copyright clearance, the ability to see a running total price as you build your book, and a cost savings for students.
For more information visit http://www.garland.sharedbook.com.
Samples & Downloads
Click on any of the links below to download a printable PDF of a sample chapter.