- T.A. Brown
- Publication Date:
- June 08, 2006
Also of Interest
The VitalBook e-book version of Genomes 3 is only available in the US and Canada at the present time. To purchase or rent please visit http://store.vitalsource.com/show/9780815341383
Covering molecular genetics from the basics through to genome expression and molecular phylogenetics, Genomes 3 is the latest edition of this pioneering textbook. Updated to incorporate the recent major advances, Genomes 3 is an invaluable companion for any undergraduate throughout their studies in molecular genetics.
Genomes 3 builds on the achievements of the previous two editions by putting genomes, rather than genes, at the centre of molecular genetics teaching. Recognising that molecular biology research was being driven more by genome sequencing and functional analysis than by research into genes, this approach has gathered momentum in recent years.
- Two new chapters on genome anatomies, covering the latest sequencing achievements.
- New chapter on genome function, to describe the latest technologies used in studying the transcriptome and the proteome.
- New chapter on recombination, providing expanded coverage of genome evolution.
- Major restructuring of chapter order, to align the book more closely to the practical reality of molecular genetics courses.
- Newly designed and significantly expanded end-of-chapter exercises, including multiple choice questions and innovative figure tests.
- Newly re-drawn artwork, with the emphasis throughout on simplicity and scientific consistency.
- FREE CD-ROM of the artwork supplied with every copy.
Part 1: Studying Genomes
1. Genomes, Transcriptomes and Proteomes
2. Studying DNA
3. Mapping Genomes
4. Sequencing Genomes
5. Understanding a Genome Sequence
6. Understanding How a Genome Functions
Part 2: Genome Anatomies
7. Eukaryotic Nuclear Genomes
8. Genomes of Prokaryotes and Eukaryotic Organelles
9. Virus Genomes and Mobile Genetic Elements
Part 3: How Genomes Function
10. Accessing the Genome
11. Assembly of the Transcription Initiation Complex
12. Synthesis and Processing of RNA
13. Synthesis and Processing of the Proteome
14. Regulation of Genome Activity
Part 4: How Genomes Replicate and Evolve
15. Genome Replication
16. Mutations and DNA Repair
18. How Genomes Evolve
19. Molecular Phylogenetics
For the following resources verified instructors can visit the resource page for Genomes 3.
The Art of Genomes 3
Artwork available in PowerPoint and JPEG formats.
Answers to problems not included in the book.
E-book and Custom Publishing
AMAZON KINDLE PRINT REPLICA E-BOOK
The VitalBook e-book is available for purchase in its entirety or by chapter, or to rent for 1 year or 180 days, in the US and Canada from VitalSource.
Purchase or rent in North America
Garland Science Custom Publishing
Garland Science Custom Publishing gives educators the ability to create their own course materials for use in the classroom-in e-book and/or print format. Faculty have complete control over what is added and may add chapters from Garland Science textbooks, web articles and blog postings, and self-authors content in PDF or Word format. Our site provides real-time copyright clearance, the ability to see a running total price as you build your book, and a cost savings for students.
For more information visit http://www.garland.sharedbook.com.
Samples & Downloads
Click on any of the links below to download a printable PDF of a sample chapter.